Saturday 29 December 2012

The Hobbit (2012) - ★★★★

Director: Peter Jackson
Writers: J.R.R. Tolkien (novel), Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens, Peter Jackson, Guillermo del Toro (screenplay)
Stars: Martin Freeman, Ian McKellen, Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis, Sylvester McCoy

Wow. This movie absolutely blew me away. I must admit, I had my doubts after reading many negative reviews of Peter Jackson's 'The Hobbit.' There were some valid points made, but nothing could stop this from being the most entertaining film of the year. I myself have read the book. I don't believe the movie does it justice. It adds way too much into the simple story, trying to turn it into another Lord of the Rings film.


So the Lord of the Rings franchise is gone, thus the dawn of The Hobbit franchise has begun. I see so much potential for this trilogy, for it is more light hearted and funny than that of the Lord of the Rings. The characters are more interesting than ever, the story holds you on the edge of your seat, and the magnificent score by Howard Shore just enhances it into an instant classic.

I'm sure I don't need to explain much of what the story is about. Bilbo Baggins (Martin Freeman) is requested by the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen), to share on an adventure with him. This adventure involves traversing dangerous and stunning lands with 13 dwarves, led by the strong and stubborn Thorin Oakenshield (Richard Armitage). The purpose of the adventure is to slay the dragon Smaug and take back the gold and home that was stolen from the dwarves. Along the way we meet characters old and new, all highly interesting in their own way. Particularly Sylvester McCoy as the wizard Radagast the Brown. 

Many have complained about the new style of camera that was used (apparently the frame rate was too disorienting and made things look fake). While I can't vouch for what other people saw, I can say that what I saw looked perfect. The cinematography was even better than any of the Lord of the Rings films; mainly because of the newer technology.

While there were countless numbers of memorable scenes in the film, the one that sticks with you is the scene in the cave where Gollum (Andy Serkis), and Bilbo match wits and verse each other in a game of riddles. This is also the scene where Bilbo finds and takes the 'one ring to rule them all', setting up what I consider to be the greatest movie series of all time. It is so haunting and incredible. This should go down in the history books as one of the greatest scenes in movie history. I know that I shall never forget it.

The only fault I can truly find with the film is that there are some unnecessary add-ons to an already perfect story. Particularly the storyline where Thorin Oakenshield has a vendetta against an Orc King. It was purely filler, and at times looked silly. On the other hand, there was never a moment I was bored, so it wasn't that bad.

In the end, The Hobbit is almost as good as The Lord of the Rings films. People say that this film, and it's sequels, were made purely to milk money from poor unsuspecting audiences. All I have to say is that if this is their idea of stealing our money, then I'm glad to have it stolen.


No comments:

Post a Comment