Sunday 13 October 2013

Top 30 | Greatest Animated Movies of All Time

These are the top 30 animated movies I've ever seen.


Number 30 - The Incredibles (2004) | Directed by Brad Bird

A simple, fun, superhero film that kicks ass. 

Number 29 - Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984) | Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Deep, stunningly beautiful, packs a powerful message.

Number 28 - Ice Age (2002) | Directed by Chris Wedge and Carlos Saldanha

Funny, exciting, and a childhood favourite of mine.

Number 27 - Aladdin (1992) | Ron Clements and John Musker

You could say it brought me to "A whole new world."

Number 26 - Wreck-It Ralph (2012) | Directed by Rich Moore

Makes me laugh heaps and feel wicked nostalgia.

Number 25 - The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006) | Directed by Mamoru Hosoda

Such a beautiful, riveting film. Packs a powerful emotional punch.

Number 24 - Anastasia (1997) | Directed by Don Bluth and Gary Goldman

Beautiful music, thrilling adventure, a real emotional journey. "Once Upon a December."

Number 23 - The Land Before Time (1988) | Directed by Don Bluth

This movie is my childhood. Words can't describe its beauty.

Number 22 - Shrek (2001) | Directed by Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, love it to bits.

Number 21 - The Little Mermaid (1989) | Directed by Ron Clements and John Musker

One of the most exciting, beautiful Disney romances. Love the music.

Number 20 - Monster's Inc (2001) | Directed by Pete Docter, David Silverman, Lee Unkrich

Makes me laugh so much, and cry heaps at the end.

Number 19 - The Fox and the Hound (1981) | Directed by Ted Berman, Richard Rich and Art Stevens

One of the most heart-breaking films I've ever seen. Very underrated.

Number 18 - Laputa, Castle in the Sky (1986) | Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

An extremely beautiful film. Always gets me overly emotional.

Number 17 - Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (1937) | Directed by David Hand

Whenever I see Snow White ride off into the sunset with her prince, I feel inexplicable emotions.

Number 16 - Toy Story 3 (2010) | Directed by Lee Unkrich

Symbolically represented the end of my childhood. The ending devastated me.

Number 15 - Finding Nemo (2003) | Directed by Andrew Stanton and Lee Unkrich

One of the funniest, most exciting adventures I've ever seen. Just beautiful.

Number 14 - The Triplet's of Belleville (2003) | Directed by Sylvain Chomet

Swept me away in its zany, infectious charm. A true masterpiece.

Number 13 - Coraline (2009) | Directed by Henry Selick

A dark, creepy masterpiece. It's in a league of its own.

Number 12 - Sleeping Beauty (1959) | Directed by Clyde Geronimi

The coolest villain in the history of cinema. Also, my favourite 'princess' film.

Number 11 - Cinderella (1950) | Directed by Clyde Geronimi and Wilfred Jackson

My true childhood Disney film. Cinderella is just... perfect.

Number 10 - Princess Mononoke (1997) | Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

If you look up 'Epic' in the dictionary, you'll find this absolute masterpiece.


Number 9 - My Neighbor Totoro (1988) | Directed by Hayao Miyazaki


The greatest children's movie ever made. There, I said it!

Number 8 - Mulan (1998) | Directed by Tony Bancroft and Barry Cook


My second favourite animated film of all time. It always leaves me feeling elated.

Number 7 - Howl's Moving Castle (2004) | Directed by Hayao Miyazaki


One of the most magical, visually beautiful films ever made.

Number 6 - The Lion King (1994) | Directed by Roger Allers and Rob Minkoff


Its beauty and music alone moves me to tears. It's more than just a masterpiece.

Number 5 - WALL-E (2008) | Directed by Andrew Stanton


From start to finish, I was absolutely entranced by this film. Perfection.

Number 4 - Beauty and the Beast (1991) | Directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise


I consider this the greatest film Disney ever made. Perfection from start to finish.


Number 3 Spirited Away (2001) | Directed by Hayao Miyazaki


A mesmerizing, beautiful, perfect film. One of the best movies of all time.

Number 2 - Grave of the Fireflies (1988) | Directed by Isao Takahata


The most heart-breaking film I've ever seen. I cried for a long time after seeing it.

Number 1 - Millennium Actress


Millennium Actress made me feel so profoundly emotional. It makes my heart sing, my brain swim... it elates me like no other film can. It moved me to tears with its beautiful imagery and music alone. It's one of the greatest movie-going experiences I've ever been through. I can honestly say, Millennium Actress is the greatest animated movie of all time.

Honourable Mentions: Ponyo (2008), The Secret World of Arrietty (2011), Porco Rosso (1992), Ratatouille (2007), Whisper of the Heart (1995), Up (2009), Fantasia (1940), Bambi (1942), Pinocchio (1940), Hercules (1997), The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996), Alice in Wonderland (1951), Lilo and Stitch (2002), James and the Giant Peach (1996), 5 Centimeters Per Second (2007)

Movies I have not seen yet: Watership Down, Metropolis, Paprika, Persepolis, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Ghost in the Shell, The Iron Giant, Akira, Frankenweenie, Paranorman

If you liked this list, check out my lists for

2 comments:

  1. Seriously, no "Up"? They said that 10-minute opening of "Up" is a better love story than the whole series of "Twilight", and although it is heard like it is a joke, I am truly agree with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew this would come up. I saw 'Up' in cinemas when it came out. No crowd, big cinema, perfect setting. It didn't do anything for me. The first ten minutes was supposed to make me feel sad, but it didn't. Much of the movie was supposed to make me go 'wow' and laugh, but it just didn't. It's one of those movies that I just don't click with. That's why it's on the honourable mentions, but not on my list. If it were on my list, I'd be lying to myself. That's something I vowed never to do when I started this website :)

      Delete